Simon J. Blanchard
Beyer Family Associate Professor of Marketing
CV (as of 6/12/2020): PDF
Simon Blanchard is the Beyer Family Associate Professor of Marketing at Georgetown University, where he is the director of the MBA Certificate in Consumer Analytics & Insights, and teaches Digital Marketing and Marketing Intelligence to undergraduate, MBAs and executives.
Trained both in consumer psychology and quantitative methods, he has two main empirical research streams: categorization judgments and consumer finance. Concerning consumer finance, he studies credit card debt repayment decisions predominantly and indebted consumers more generally. His research has been published in academic outlets such as the Journal of Consumer Research, the Journal of Marketing Research, the Journal of Marketing, Psychological Science, and Psychometrika.
His work and opinions on consumer finances and debt repayment are frequently covered in media outlets such as Forbes, Fortune, Harvard Business Review, Huffington Post, Lifehacker, NBC News, and Psychology Today.
He serves as an associate editor at the Journal of Consumer Research, and as a member of the AMA Academic Council. He is also a member of the editorial review boards of the Journal of Marketing, the Journal of Marketing Research, and the International Journal of Research in Marketing.
Selected Recent Publications
Blanchard, Simon J., Mahima Hada, Kurt A. Carlson (2018). "Specialist Competitor Referrals: How Salespeople Can Use Competitor Referrals for Nonfocal Products to Increase Focal Product Sales." Journal of Marketing, 82 (4), 127-145. [PDF][Web Appendix]
Kettle, Keri L., Remi Trudel, Simon J. Blanchard, Gerald Haubl (2016). "Repayment Concentration and Consumer Motivation to Get Out of Debt." Journal of Consumer Research, 43 (3), 460-477. [PDF] [Technical Web Appendix]
Blanchard, Simon J., Kurt A. Carlson, Jamie D. Hyodo (2016). ”The Favor Request Effect: Requesting a Favor from Consumers to Seal the Deal.” Journal of Consumer Research, 42 (6), 985-1001. [PDF]
Carlson, Kurt A., Jared Wolfe, Simon J. Blanchard, Joel C. Huber and Dan Ariely (2015). ”The Budget Contraction Effect: How Contracting Budgets Lead to Less Varied Choice.” Journal of Marketing Research, 52 (3), 337-348. [PDF]
Blanchard, Simon J., Tatiana Dyachenko, Keri L. Kettle (2020). "Locational Choices: Modeling Consumer Preferences for Proximity to Others in Reserved Seating Venues." Forthcoming at the Journal of Marketing Research. * the first two authors contributed equally. [PDF][GitHub][seatmaplab.com]
Moins, Théo, Daniel Aloise, and Simon J. Blanchard. (2020). "RecSeats: A Hybrid Convolutional Neural Network Choice Model for Seat Recommendations at Reserved Seating Venues," In Fourteenth ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys ’20), September 22–26, 2020, Virtual Event, Brazil. ACM, New York, NY, USA, [PDF][GitHub]
Blanchard, Simon J., Daniel Aloise, Wayne S. DeSarbo (2017). "Extracting Summary Piles from Sorting Task Data." Journal of Marketing Research, 54 (3). [PDF] [Technical Web Appendices][code][cardsorting.net]
Service and Awards
American Marketing Association, Academic Council Member (2018-2021)
- Journal of Consumer Research
Editorial Review Board Member:
- Journal of Marketing
- Journal of Marketing Research
- International Journal of Marketing Research
- 2017 Marketing Science Institute Young Scholar
- Recipient of the 2017 Faculty Research Award, McDonough School of Business, Georgetown University
- Co-Chair (with Debora Thompson) of the 2019 11th Triennial Invitational Choice Symposium
- Co-Chair (with Girish Malapragada and Amber Epp) of the 2020 American Marketing Association Summer Conference
In the News
For a complete list of media coverage, click here.
1. Reviewed "You can pay off credit card debt faster with this strategy - Concentrate on one account at a time for extra motivation. " by Emilia Benton. (link)
2. Forbes "Debt: How To Help Your Clients Escape It — And Use It. " by Michelle Lerner. (link)
3. Fortune "Tax Refund: How To Pay Off Your Credit Card Debt With Your Next Refund. " (byline)
4. NBC News "With More Rate Hikes Coming, Here’s the Best Way to Pay Off Your Credit Card Debt." by Herb Weisbaum (link)
5. Morning Consult "Free From Memory of the Great Recession, Gen Z Charts Own Economic Path." by Claire Williams (link)