Simon J. Blanchard
Beyer Family Associate Professor of Marketing
CV (as of 1/23/2020): PDF
Trained both in consumer psychology and quantitative methods, Simon studies consumer decision making via a combination of experimental research and empirical modeling. At Georgetown, he teaches Analytical Problem Solving and Digital Advertising to MBA students and executives. He also serves of the director of the MBA Certificate in Consumer Analytics & Insights.
His two main research streams focus on personal finance, and the development and applications of unsupervised learning methods. His research has been published in outlets such as the Journal of Marketing, the Journal of Marketing Research, the Journal of Consumer Research, Psychological Science, and Psychometrika. He and his research have been covered in outlets such as C|Net, CBS News, Forbes, Harvard Business Review, Huffington Post, and Psychology Today.
He is an associate editor at the Journal of Consumer Research, and he serves on the editorial review board of the Journal of Marketing Research and the International Journal of Marketing Research.
Selected Publications (Last 5 years)
Blanchard, Simon J., Mahima Hada, Kurt A. Carlson (2018). "Specialist Competitor Referrals: How Salespeople Can Use Competitor Referrals for Nonfocal Products to Increase Focal Product Sales." Journal of Marketing, 82 (4), 127-145. [PDF][Web Appendix]
Kettle, Keri L., Remi Trudel, Simon J. Blanchard, Gerald Haubl (2016). "Repayment Concentration and Consumer Motivation to Get Out of Debt." Journal of Consumer Research, 43 (3), 460-477. [PDF] [Technical Web Appendix]
Blanchard, Simon J., Kurt A. Carlson, Jamie D. Hyodo (2016). ”The Favor Request Effect: Requesting a Favor from Consumers to Seal the Deal.” Journal of Consumer Research, 42 (6), 985-1001. [PDF]
Carlson, Kurt A., Jared Wolfe, Simon J. Blanchard, Joel C. Huber and Dan Ariely (2015). ”The Budget Contraction Effect: How Contracting Budgets Lead to Less Varied Choice.” Journal of Marketing Research, 52 (3), 337-348. [PDF]
Kim, Sunghoon, Simon J. Blanchard, Wayne S. DeSarbo, and Duncan H.K. Fong (2013). ”Implementing Managerial Constraints in Model Based Segmentation: Extensions of Kim, Fong, and DeSarbo (2012) with an Application to Heterogeneous Perceptions of Service Quality.” Journal of Marketing Research, 50 (5), 664-673. [PDF] [Code]
Service and Awards
American Marketing Association, Academic Council Member (2018-2021)
- Journal of Consumer Research
Editorial Review Board Member:
- Journal of Marketing Research
- International Journal of Marketing Research
- 2017 Marketing Science Institute Young Scholar
- Recipient of the 2017 Faculty Research Award, McDonough School of Business, Georgetown University
- Co-Chair (with Debora Thompson) of the 2019 11th Triennial Invitational Choice Symposium
- Co-Chair (with Girish Malapragada and Amber Epp) of the 2020 American Marketing Association Summer Conference
In the News
For a complete list of media coverage, click here.
1. Forbes "Debt: How To Help Your Clients Escape It — And Use It. " by Michelle Lerner. (link)
2. Fortune "Tax Refund: How To Pay Off Your Credit Card Debt With Your Next Refund. " (byline)
3. Fox5 "Tax Refund Tips: How to Make the Most of your Tax Refund." Live on Good Day DC.
4. NBC News "With More Rate Hikes Coming, Here’s the Best Way to Pay Off Your Credit Card Debt." by Herb Weisbaum (link)
5. Morning Consult "Free From Memory of the Great Recession, Gen Z Charts Own Economic Path." by Claire Williams (link)
6. Forbes "Fintechs Circle As Visa Readies Interchange Rate Increases ." by Donna Fuscaldo (link)
Publication Compilation Database: For my DocSig cohort members who may want to use the data to build their annual review & tenure packets.
1. DocSig 2011 Cohort: List. Fully up to date as of 6/18/2019.
2. DocSig 2012 Cohort: List. Fully up to date as of 6/7/2019.
3. DocSig 2013 Cohort: List. Fully up to date as of 5/7/2018.
4. DocSig 2014 Cohort: List. Fully up to date as of 9/25/2019.
5. DocSig 2015 Cohort: List. Fully up to date as of 3/1/2019.