Simon J. Blanchard
Since my time at the GERAD in 2004 -2005, I have worked on the development of algorithms and statistical models to draw inferences based on datasets for the input data does not have labeled responses.
I have applied such methods in the study of free-categorization (i.e., how consumers intuitively see some objects as similar in some way), substitution patterns, image classification, and misinformation.
Research about Unsupervised Learning
Applications of Unsupervised Learning
- Simon J. Blanchard, Theodore J. Noseworthy, Ethan Pancer, Maxwell Poole. "Visual Scene Elements and New Product Success: An Analysis of Crowdfunding Product Images Using Automated Image Classiﬁcation" Under second round review at the Journal of Marketing Research.
- Verena Schoenmuller, Simon J. Blanchard, Gita V. Johar "Identifying and Predicting Fake News Sharers: Beyond Demographics and Ideology." Under review.
- Hamilton, Rebecca, W., Debora V. Thompson, Zachary G. Arens, Simon J. Blanchard, Gerald Haubl, P.K. Kannan, Donald R. Lehmann, Margaret G. Meloy, Neal Roese, Manoj Thomas (2014). "Consumer Substitution Decisions: An Integrative Framework." Marketing Letters, 25 (3), 305-317.
Development of Unsupervised Learning Models
- Rodrigo Randel, Daniel Aloise, Alain Hertz, and Simon J. Blanchard "A Lagrangian-based score for assessing the quality of pairwise constraints in semi-supervised clustering." Under review.
- Daniel Pinerho, Daniel Aloise, Simon J. Blanchard "Convex Fuzzy k-Medoid Clustering." Conditionally accepted at Fuzzy Sets and Systems.
- Blanchard, Simon J., Daniel Aloise, Wayne S. DeSarbo (2017). ”Extracting Summary Piles from Sorting Task Data, " Journal of Marketing Research, 54(3), 398-414.
- Blanchard, Simon J., Ishani Banerji. (2016) "Evidence-Based Recommendations for Designing Free-Sorting Experiments." Behavior Research Methods, 48 (4), 1318-1336.
- Santi, Everton, Daniel Aloise and Simon J. Blanchard (2016). "A Model for Clustering Using Heterogeneous Dissimilarity Matrices." European Journal of Operations Research, 253 (3), 659-672.
- Blanchard, Simon J., Wayne S. DeSarbo (2013). "A New Zero-Inflated Negative Binomial Methodology for Latent Category Identification." Psychometrika, 78 (2), 322-340.
- Blanchard, Simon J., Daniel Aloise and Wayne S. DeSarbo (2012). "Heterogeneous P-Median for Categorization Based Clustering." Psychometrika, 77 (4), 741-762.
- Blanchard, Simon J., Wayne S. DeSarbo, A. Selin Atalay, Nukhet Harmancioglu (2011). "Identifying Consumer Heterogeneity in Unobserved Categories." Marketing Letters, 23 (1), 177-194.
- DeSarbo, Wayne S., A. Selin Atalay, David LeBaron, and Simon J. Blanchard (2008). "Estimating Multiple Segment-Level Ideal Points from Context Dependent Survey Data." Journal of Consumer Research, 35 (June), 142-153.